Sunday, June 20, 2010

Vine Borers

I think a vine borer has gotten into the jardale pumpkin. I had trouble with them last year on my one pumpkin vine I did. Because I had a large vine, though, with lots of leader roots, the vine was ok. I think that the jardale pumpkin will be ok too because it has established plenty of roots. I just hate that something is in there. I convinced myself last year that the mosaic virus came from the squash bugs and not the vine borer. I have controlled the squash bugs so we will see if that is true this year or not. I think that the vine borer has gotten into the big moon pumpkin too. That vine will suffer more, though, since it is not nearly as big or hardy. It had a troubled start if you remember. It flowered today for the first time. It has smaller flowers which surprised me considering how big the pumpkins can get. My regular pumpkin has its first female flower bloom today. I polinated it myself. I then watched the bees help that cause too. HOPEFULLY we will end up with our first pumpkin. I will know in a few days. It plucked another female flower off of it today. It had a soft spot. That is not good for the vine. I need to look into why that happened. In any event, keep your fingers crossed that the one female flower produces fruit.
My son's watermelon plant is doing well. I think we have another watermelon growing. The first one is still too precious. It is a little larger than a golf ball now. It is interesting to watch it in the am and then again in the pm. I can actually see a difference in its size. The jardale pumpkin has yet to flower at all. I stopped fertilizing nitrogen. The vine is HUGE so clearly it has enough nitrogen. Need to do some potash today. I have a low level potash fertilizer. I need to get a bit of a higher one to help it fruit more.
Happy Father's Day to all father's. My husband is feeling a bit ill today. I hope feels better soon. How horrible to be sick on Father's Day. I am relieved he is going for a physical soon. This happens to him way too often to be normal.

No comments: