Sunday, June 27, 2010

The cold that will not go away.

I am on day 4 I think of this cold. I feel like a total idiot for not keeping up with the Zicam in the middle of last week when I thought it might come on. My son seems to be feeling better aside from the runny nose. He has a tough time with colds in general or usually ends up with croup so the doctor says. I am not sure it is croup, but I'll spare you the details on that. I hate feeling sick. I missed my workout this am because I just did not have the strength to get up out of bed. I am hoping to feel more normal tomorrow so that I can get to the gym. I am still at 143. Hoping to stay there through tomorrow so I can start my week at that. I could handle 144--that would not be awful either.
I was looking at the jardale pumpkin this am vine. It really is beautiful. I mean just beautiful. It is very impressive. The garden is a bit unruly, but I kind of dig it like that. I just have to watch to make sure that one plant does not kill another. Looking at these plants, I have truly learned how amazing plants really are. They do all of this growing and work just to reproduce. It is a lot of work. I am constantly pruning the jardale. It loves to grow. Next year I am going to limit myself to four vines. I really want to grow more than one jardale but with a limit of 4 vines, I am not sure that will happen. Plus the jardale seems to reproduce like mad. What would I do with 30 short green pumpkins. As it is, I look to have 3-5 already and it is only June. I have another month of female flowers to allow to bloom and grow. The regular pumpkin only has the one pumpkin and some of the female flowers are not forming properly. Some are, though. I just expect that the vine is growing faster than the flowers can properly form. I used very heavy nitrogen (all organic) fertilizer to start. I suspect that I used too much. I have cut back heavily on the nitrogen and am now using an organic fertilizer with little nitrogen. I want the plants to focus more on flowering and root production. I suspect the nitrogen is why the jardale is so impressive and green. Lush is really the only way to describe it.
I harvested all bell peppers today. They were ready. Hopefully the plants will produce more flowers and then more fruit. The jalepenos are blooming. My husband will be happy in about 45 days when we have some jalepenos to eat. My martian tomato is still growing and not red. I estimate the thing weighs at least a pound now. I worry that in the next storm (well if it ever rains again) that it will fall off. My brother-in-law suggested I cut it and let it ripen in the sun in a window. Maybe, but I have never grown tomatoes before. I would really like to allow nature to take its course on the vine. Something to think about.

No comments: