Thursday, June 17, 2010

This is a first for me.

It happened today. I totally lost steam. I was about 23-24 minutes into the first half of my workout at the gym. I was on the elliptical ski machine (whatever the heck it is called) and I had to totally push myself hard on a level that is just normal for me. I believe it was level 6 at the time. I pushed and pushed through it. By the time I got to 26 minutes which is where I switch and ski backwards (which is the easier part for me) I was hot and just overwhelmed physically. I can normally push through anything since I know that most set backs like that are mental. This was totally physical. I had to go down to level 3 for the remainder of my workout and just keep it above 6.0 mph. I normally keep it above 7.0 mph. It was terrible. After I finished out the half hour, I went to do my half hour workout and was so hot and overheated that I had to stop after 10 minutes. I finally feel somewhat normal now with the exception of the pain on the right side of my head where I got really hot. It was strange. I hate that it happened. I feel weak now that I could not finish a workout that I normally fly through with no problem. It scares me. What will happen tomorrow?
I finished my workout stretch with no break at 16 days. I missed Monday's workout and yesterday's for that matter. I have actually lost weight this week, though. I think what I have learned is that your body needs a rest now and then. I hate to lose momentum which is why I prefer to go in long stretches of working out, but clearly I need to rest once in a while. I plan to workout tomorrow and then do my regular walk in the early am on the weekend. I added arm weights to my walk. I love it. It really helps.
My garden has become a bit unruly. Too much nitrogen maybe??? The tomato plants are huge. One is producing tomatoes like crazy. The pumpkin just crossed the loofah vine. I worry that one will kill the other. Apparently, you need to put the loofah vine on something so it hangs. I got to figure out how to solve that one. The jardale grew towards the yard, of course, rather than the back of the bed so I had to prune it yesterday. It had a female flower that I cut off because it was yellowing, but now I cannot help but wonder if that is how its female flowers look in general. The cayennes have gone nuts. I will have plenty of those to share with a few hundred friends. (No exaggeration there.) My big moon pumpkin is ok. It finally sent out a lead vine and the vine looks good. It is not growing as fast as I would like, but at least it is green. I am just hoping to get one 40-50 pound pumpkin out of it. The thing I really like about the jardale is that it is constantly putting down feeder roots. Good job by that plant!

No comments: