Saturday, November 10, 2012

Taking some advice

So Runner's World says to think about your race runs and go over what you could control and what you could not control and then out of the things you could control what worked and what did not.  The article claims that it will help you figure out how to have better race day runs.  Since that is my issue, here I go.
Things I could not control:
1.  The weather--caused some anxiety for me.  I hate the cold.  I was definitely anxious going into the run since I knew it would be cold, but I figured if I planned to run the half, I knew what I was getting into.  I need to think about cooler races and how realistic running them is for me. 
2.  Where I am in my cycle.  The odds have been against me the last two halfs for this.  Not anything I can do about it.  Nature does what it wants. 
Things I can control:
1.  My attitude going into the race.  I was definitely not feeling it earlier this week.  I knew that the race was going to be rough mentally.  Self fulfilling prophecy perhaps?  If my attitude was better going in, would I have felt better about the race?
2.  Having fun during the race.  I did not have fun this race which just sucks more than I say.  I love running.  There is a line in a Taio Cruz song where he says "I do this just for kicks just for the thrill."  That is how I feel about running.  I did not enjoy today's run at all.  I just wanted it to be over.  How do I get the fun back?  Will I have fun the next time I run or am I over the fun for now? 
3.  My body.  I have not taken care of my body over the last several weeks.  Too much candy over the last 30 days and not enough stretching and rolling over the last week.  I did not stretch or roll at all yesterday.  That was a huge mistake.  I know that is why my IT band tightened.  Better care of my body going into the race.  I was too stressed and tired each evening to worry about it. 
4.  My music.  Having fresh music was great!  Definitely a must again!
5.  Clothing.  Wear running jacket rather than shirt that I need to lift over my head.  That slowed me down around miles 2-3 which is where I always struggle.
6.  Pace.  I need to figure out how to better pace myself in a race.  I always get into a groove after 45 minutes of running.  Yes, it takes me that long to warm up.  I need to find a way to stretch that out in a race situation.  I need to figure out how to slow myself down when I am running.  I so struggle with that.
7.  Race I sign up for.  A smaller race is definitely more my speed.  I totally know that now.  I need to think about that when I sign up for the next half marathon and the full marathon I will eventually do.  It just works for me. 
8.  I am not sure if I can control getting into my own head.  I struggle with that so much as I run a race.  My best runs are ones where I am in my own head, but that only happens when I am alone.  I need to find a way to do that in a race. 
9.  Food.  I need to have something with sugar along the way and not just powerade to drink.  I think my breakfast was perfect, though.  The one slice of peanut butter toast is PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am sure that there are more things to consider.  This all I can contemplate for now. 

No comments: