Monday, May 28, 2012

A new reality for some

My family is crumbling.  Old habits and roles are breaking down and it is freaking everyone out.  Well, everyone but me, but I am so far removed from them.  I felt sad because I did not really have a relationship with any of them, but my sister and I are still reconnecting so there is hope.  I will take what I can get.  I love her.  Yes, she is crazy, but she is my sister.  I have loved her all of my life and nothing will change that.  I decided to run this half marathon because of something my mother said so I am running it for me but her too.  I am running it for her to get away from whatever it is that she truly fears.  I am working on figuring that one out.  I will not likely ever figure it out, but maybe symbolically, I can get away from it with a short 13.1 mile run.  Whatever it is, I am not afraid of it.  That I know.
I hit 11.25 miles today.  The IT band is tight...ok, it hurts, but it tightened as the day went on.  I rolled my left leg about mile 9.  That tensed me up and I think started the issue with the IT band.  Next week, it will be better, I know, and if not, well, Jason and I will have another set of dates.  Hell, I never thought I would be running over 10 miles regularly so no matter what, I am happy. 
My nephew, please live in the present.  Stop worrying about the future.  It may not even exist and frankly, as it likely does, I will tell you that life never works out the way you plan anyways.  Even the best laid plans, fail in some way.  Just fix the present.  The future will find itself.  Your uncle, my husband, told me the other day that life is better than he ever thought it could be.  Here is a gentleman who had his life laid out in some ways.  He never expect to marry his college sweetheart and to have that woman be his first girlfriend ever, but it happened.  Who plans for that.  Here we are 17 years later and very happy and fulfilled in every way.  The here and now is all we have so live for that.  Life is short.  You never know how short it is until you start to age.  Then you finally realize. 

No comments: