Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Coming home

That idea means something different for everyone.  In my own way, I am having my own personal homecoming.  I finally decided that I was going to call my sister.  I finally came to the realization that I was helping to perpetuate my mother's insanity and this whole idea of "secrets" she carries forward by not calling my sister just because my mother asked me not to let her know that she talked to me about my nephew.  I texted her and asked if she had time to chat.  She said she was home until 11a so I called from work.  We talked for over an hour.  It was the best conversation we have probably had in our adult lives.  She feels lost and is constantly questioning every decision she is making just like any mother would, of course.  I just offered support and reassurance.  We laughed.  We cried.  We gossiped and we sympathized.  Few thing have felt so good and let me tell you it has been a really good year so far so that is saying something.  I love my sister and I have missed her more than I can ever express.  It brought us back together.  She even called me later in the day to tell me about something crazy that had happened to her.  She texted me this am again.  It is like coming home again to a relationship that I have desperately needed and one that I have wanted for over 30 years.  I am so sorry for my nephew and the difficulty he is going through, but I am thankful for it in that without it, I would not have called my sister.  They say that everything happens for a reason.  Maybe that is the reason for my nephew's illness.  Maybe it had to happen to bring my sister and I back to one another.  Who knows.  So sister, I want to say that I think you are a special woman.  I think you have weathered many difficulties and will weather this one too.  You have a wonderful husband who loves you and accepts you and will do whatever he can to help you and your children.  I plan to be there for you and support you and advise when you need me to do so and shut up when you need me to just shut up and listen.  I am your sister.  I know the difference.     

No comments: