Sunday, January 20, 2013

Have I ever been wrong?

Of course I have.  We all have, but then why are we all so afraid of being wrong?  I am not just talking about being right or wrong in a discussion.  I am talking about being wrong in the choices we make in life.  We have all made those mistakes, and we constantly live in fear of making more.  Why?  That fear is what paralyzes us.  Well, some of us, that is.  So we sit by and stay safe just so we never have to say that we were wrong.  I know it is not hat black and white, but it really is not that complicated either.  My son told me today that he loved himself, and I thought, "Wow, in his sincerity, I know that I have done a good job as a parent," and I mean that.  Talk about telling.  I hope he continues to feel that way for the rest of his life.  I am constantly working on who I am so that he does.  I was very much headed down the same horrible parenting path that my mother used.  It does not create well adjusted children who love themselves.  Quite the opposite.  I realized after a few incidents with my son that I had to make some serious changes and I have and I am working on me so I can be the best parent and wife I can be. 
One of the shows I was watching today talked about visualizing those things that you want.  It cracked me up because I do that with the marathon almost every time I run.  I visualize finishing it regularly.  I cannot wait for the moment. It is going to feel great.  It got me thinking about other things I maybe should be visualizing like finishing the FCC upload.  I need to start working on that tonight!
Watching a show that just brought up a good question....  As a woman, what is it that I do not want a man to know about me?  That I am not perfect.  That I am not everything that he needs.  That he can walk out the door any time he wants.  Pretty telling, I think.  I think when you live a life where love is given and taken so quickly.  I mean it varies based on the wind it feels sometimes.  I think when you live a life like that, you just know how easily it can disappear or be withdrawn so you work like a dog to stay in favor and be perfect and be who or whatever is needed at the time.  You never build your own identity or sense of self because you, at the core, do not matter.  It is all about how much of something you can be in order to keep love and favor.  You are a chameleon.  So here I am at 36 still trying to figure out who the hell I am and who I want to be and all the while fighting the voices that tell me I do not matter, and that the only thing that matters is who I can become.

No comments: