Friday, August 24, 2012

Mixed mess of things

I am running a half marathon tomorrow and as I am going to pick up my packet, I get a call from my sister.  My mother is in the hospital.  My sister just got out of the hospital.  My oldest niece just got taken to a children's hospital for head trauma.  No, I am not writing a bad country song.  All of the above is true.  I think what disappoints me the most is that my mother has not said one word to my sister or I about her hospitalization.  We had to find out from my brother and not willingly, might I mention.  I understand that my mother has problems.  I get that.  I do, but I expect better of my brother in that he should not help to perpetuate her issues.  Fortunately, my mother is on her way home now and my sister seems to be ok.  We are just waiting on word for my niece now.  All of this and I am sick.  Yes, somehow after 3 months of training and long runs every weekend, I managed to get a head cold the weekend of my half marathon. Did I also mention that I have my period too.  I just want to say that it rained on my wedding day.  I was cool with it.  I just smiled and moved on as it poured and thundered and lightning lit up the sky, but do I really have to get sick on one of the biggest weekends of my year?  Seriously?  What is up with that.  I could deal with the joke of the rain on my wedding day.   I am not dealing well with the joke of the illness.  Do I really need one more thing to deal with?  Part of me thinks all of this is some colossal joke at my expense.  Half marathon so hey, let's make Tiffy get her period. Tiffy has that, but she has run long runs through that before, so she feels good.  Well, that did not knock her down so let's get Tiffy sick.  Tiffy is sick, but it does not have her too down.  She figures that there are worse things to run through and the cold does not seem too bad.  She will take some cold medicine in the am and move on, and ok, maybe now she will not hit her 2 hour goal, but she is sick so she gives herself a little break.  Well, what?  She is moving on.  We have to give her more.  Let's put her sister coming out of a hospital from a weird and gross (sorry, sis, it is gross) infection, her mother coming home from the hospital for something that she will not completely identify.  Oh, and let's have her teenage niece get on a moped, hit a wall and end up with head trauma.  Maybe that will do it.  This is the joke of my life.  I cannot help but wonder, "Maybe I am not supposed to run this race."  Is that what the cosmic world is telling me?  I mean I feel like after the rain on my wedding, maybe I have a little right to be bitter....
Here is the deal:  I am going to run what I can.  I have worked my butt off to train for this race and loved most of those minutes and hated with passion many other minutes during that time, but I DID IT.  I am hoping that this stress will work to my advantage.  I will have some nervous energy to work out.  Plus, everyone who runs longer distances knows that the longer distances enable you to work things out in your mind.  It almost becomes a mediation of sorts.  At least it is that way for me.  I need that time tomorrow so I am glad that I have it so I may figure out what to do.  This drama gives me a purpose for running.  I just hope and pray that I can keep the adrenaline in check at least for the first half...fingers crossed.  I need to think "fun, fun, fun" and just smile and run.  So I guess that is moral of the story.   Cosmic world, the joke is on you.

No comments: