Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mind was working better than my body this am

I hit the road for at least 13.1 this am. I was hoping for 14 but I was happy with 13.1.  I was an hour later than usual due to circumstances beyond my control and my am routine was out of sync again due to circumstances out of my control.  I felt ready to go.  I knew starting out running that it was going to be pretty.  It was not.  I struggled with every mile today.  Mentally I was great.  It was the physical part that hurt me this am, and it was not even that hot.  At one point, I took a 3 minute break around the local Y.  I had done 10 at that point and figured I would just walk home, but as I started home, mentally I wanted to run that last 5k so I did.  It was amusing to me because normally it is my mind that I am battling.  Normally physically I can handle it, but my mind is saying, "Quit.  It is ok."  Today was the opposite.  My body was hurting, but my mind was saying, "You can handle it."  How strange is that.  Quite a change for me.  It actually surprised me.  Anyways, I completed the 13.1 in 2 hours and 5 min.  I would like to get that half marathon time under 2 hours, but really finishing is the goal.  Now I know I can at least do it.  I also know that my mind can help cheer me on.  Hopefully it feels ready the day of the race.  I am left wondering, though, why was I so drained today.  I am still drained.  Was it the activity from yesterday?   Was it because of my 7 miles on Friday when I normally do 4.  Was it the later start so I had the sun beating down on me earlier?  Honestly, I think I might be getting sick.  The hubby disagrees, but I do not feel quite right.  I feel tired and normally I feel energized.  I took a Zicam hoping that will help stave off what I suspect may be a cold coming on.  We will see what the next few days bring.  My IT band is tight.  I am going to roll it some more and then stretch while my daughter bathes.  Hopefully it will feel fine tomorrow. 

No comments: