Monday, June 11, 2012

Amazed by what my body can do

So, we hit the beach Friday afternoon.  The drive down there was a disaster, but that is another story.  That whole evening was disaster, but again, another story.  I figured that since my BFF and I did not run our full 4 miles on Friday, I would just go ahead and run on Saturday rather than waiting until Sunday.  I knew I was going to run the boardwalk and figured that I would just cut back and do 10 miles since I had exercised the day before and was at the beach after all.  I thought that going up the boardwalk and back was 5 miles so I decided to do that twice so I could hit my 10.  I got up early and was able to watch the sun rise over the water as I ran.  I lived near the beach until I was 18 and have spent more time at that beach than I have spent any one other play-type location.  I had never seen the sun rise before and let me say, it was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. 
Anyways, I was dying during the run.  I was so worn out that I had to stop after 1 hour and 40 something minutes which was right at what I thought was about 10 miles so I felt ok stopping.  Normally I would have an idea as to how far I had gone since I use the Nike iPod Plus function, but it was telling me that my mile pace was between 7 min and 9 min miles which I thought was crazy.  I totally finished running thinking I had done about 10 miles since I thought it was 5 miles round trip.  I get to work today and curiosity took over so I looked on-line to see how long the boardwalk down there is, and it is a little over 3 miles.  I ran a full 12 miles on Saturday in 1 hour and 43 minutes and 7 seconds!  I am in shock.  I mean utter shock.  I never thought in a million years that I could run that far at that pace, but I did it.  I am amazed at what my body can now do.  It feels so good to have that run down and in that time.  Really good.  That is something I will carry with me for a long time, and it will help see me through this training and into August, no doubt.  To know that I can do that, just amazes me.  Just amazing.  I feel like I can do anything now as crazy as that sounds.  I actually look forward to running my long run this weekend.  I feel ready to finally hit the 13.1 so I think I am going for 14 miles this weekend.  I just feel great!!!!  Words cannot quite describe it.  Just amazing to me!
I managed to not gain any weight while I was there.  Tough to do when you run 12 miles and then spend another hour and 15 minutes that day pedaling your kids on a surrey.  I was pretty careful too despite the temptations, restaurant food, and the Reese's blizzard I had Friday night.  I feel good about the weekend.  Well, aside from how it went with the kids...but again, another story.

No comments: