Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Found my true calling...

It only took a decade plus of my adult life, but I figured out what I was meant to do. I want to be a farmer. I want to grow watermelons, a myriad of pumpkins, and lots of peppers. I finally got over my bug thing so I think I could handle it. I thought about it a lot today when I was at the website for Avery Farms in Amelia, VA. They have apprenticeships there. Honestly if I did not have two small children, I would seriously consider it. I would like to go spend a day there and do some labor and help. I think it would be educational and enjoyable. I think that I would like to have chickens too for the eggs and chicken poop which is the best for growing vegetables. Jon told me to look for land. I wonder how much I might need. Anyways, I truly think that is my calling. I could be home with the kids when they are home, and they could help out on the farm too. It is a win-win for my family. I imagine the initial expense would be tremendous, but I am thinking long term. I would do regular pumpkins and then more unusual varieties like the jardales and sugar baby pumpkins maybe. I really like the jardales particularly and now that I have started really pruning it, it is doing incredibly well. I have a few more pumpkins growing on it. They are really unusual looking. The color is definitely a greenish-blue. I think I might have one ready to come off of the vine.
Anyways, the bottom line is that I would love to see farm work first hand and do it myself for a few days. And yes, that is my idea of vacation...I like hard work in general. I find it relaxing.
My hubby finally went for his physical today. What a reminder that we are all getting older. I am trying to accept that I could be going through peri-menopause, but it is rather depressing. I try not to think about it too much because it makes me want to cry and makes me feel old. I hate feeling old.

No comments: