Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Question of the day...easy for me to answer...sort of...

I had a professional colleague today tell me that I am one the nicest and smartest people he has worked with.  It meant a lot coming from him especially, but the question he asked after threw me for a moment.  He asked if I could change one thing, anything, what would it be?  In reference to myself, I would immediately say, "To stop picking myself apart all of the time."  Then I got to thinking about that, though.  Isn't the fact that I pick myself apart all of the time, well, isn't that part of what drives me to be nice and smart and better every day?  I take a lot of pride in the fact that most days, I try to live the best life I can.  (Most days, that is!!  I cannot stress that enough.)  I try to eat well, smile a lot, and be kind to everyone because everyone deserves kindness.  The fact that I am so critical of myself, isn't that what drives me to know how to be better the next day?  I understand the criticism part, and yes, I agree that I need to let some of that go, but some of it, a lot of it, I need to embrace because it does drive me to do better tomorrow and the next day and the next day.
Back on track with eating.  I am hopefully slimming down again from the weight I magically gained overnight.  I must end up with a lot of inflammation from either sugar or processed carbs.  One of those items, clearly does my body in.  I went to the gym to lift weight again today.  It felt great!  Well, my arms are like jelly again, but I like it.  I am very self conscious while I am there so I try to move and finish as quickly as I can.  The weight area is definitely a man's land.  I have been thinking more and more about fitness competitions.  Am I insane to even consider it?  I have skin that hangs from the weight loss over a decade ago.  That will not help me at all.  I do not know.  I think it sounds crazy, but it is something I am really considering. 
I have been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish before the end of the year.  A few things on the list are 1. do the pole exercise class  2.  get down in weight to 125  3.  move to 25 pounds in barbell weights.  (I am at 15 now.)  4.  learn to hula hoop (I am well on my way there.  I have been practicing.)   
I know one thing I really want to accomplish in 2015.  I want to win my age division in the Henrico 5k.  I ran it in 2011 and 2013 and came in 3rd both years.  I want to win it in 2015.  It is going to require a lot of speed work over the winter, but I feel like maybe I can do it.  I just want to do it all, but I only have so many hours in the day.  I could really use a few more.  Is there any way to elongate the days?

No comments: