Sunday, November 23, 2014

Running and a reason

Runners are obsessed with why they run.  Read any running magazine and you will quickly learn that.  I guess I understand it to a certain extent, but not really.  I do not care why I run.  Running is one of the few things I do not think or wonder "why?"  That is a pretty incredible feat considering that I am constantly going through everything each day and questioning how or why.  Yes, I spend most of my days going over everything that happened that day or a week before or a year before or even a decade before and think about why.  Running is uncomplicated for me in that way, well, for the most part that is.  The running has suffered so much lately because it has been more complicated that it needed to be.  Today I had the luxury of just running.  No minimum to run, no set distance and no pace to watch to  make sure that I do not go too fast and then cannot finish the distance.  That is not a luxury that I have had in a long, long time.  I ran in a very organic sense today.  I just ran and did not worry about my distance.  Yes, I wanted to run at least a 10k and I did.  I pushed it today just running the way my body wanted to go.  It was faster than my running has been for the last few months (as I have slowed down my pace so I can run much further--always watching that pace.)  I went fast in my last mile, much faster than I expected.  My time was 58.26, a time that would have horrified me prior to marathon training when I was running faster on a regular basis, but now in the habit of keeping my pace around 10:00-10:30 per mile, I was pleased.  I would really like to win my age division in the local 5k here which means really training for that 5k and not just doing longer distances.  That is hard because I really only get to do an outdoor run alone once a week and so I have to decide between a fast 5k and slower longer run.  I think in the end, the 5k will win.  The marathon is done.  I never have to do one again.  Next on the list is the 5k division so it is time to work on that.  I know what is next after that too so there is an appropriate plan of succession in play so at the end of the day, it works. 
Perhaps I do not ponder why I run because I do not know and the mental exhaustion is too much.  I do not know but for now I will take what I hope to be more uncomplicated runs. 

No comments: