Monday, September 22, 2014

How do you handle a dress and a broken heart?

How do you handle something when your heart is a little broken?  Hear me out on this...
I have a dress that I was dying to wear to an event in two weeks.  I mean dying to wear.  I felt beautiful and wonderful in it.  From the moment I saw it on-line I knew that I wanted to wear it.  I found it at a local boutique.  I even made a trip out there with my BFF to get it which is something I have never done before and is out of my comfort zone.  I even went downtown.  That NEVER happens.  Let's go back 16 years when I was 22 and wedding dress shopping for my wedding gown.  I ended up in tears because my mother made a big deal to the sales lady about how fat I was and I would lose weight before the wedding so I should get the dress a size smaller.  It was an awful scene.  I should have walked out of the dressing room and never gone shopping with her again.  I have never felt thin, but I felt ugly and fat every day since that day.  Not the mention the fact that a woman dreams about her wedding day from the day she learns about weddings as a child.  Every woman views it as her day to be beautiful and admired.  I felt frumpy, ugly, fat and unlovable. I felt big and lumbering.  Brides are supposed to glide.  I feel like I was so big I was stomping down to stand next to my hubby. 
Back to present day...as it turns out, due to the need to be practical so I can endure the situation at this event, I will not be able to wear this dress for the event in which I bought it.  My hubby and I never have the need to get dressed up so this dress is pretty much a waste of money now.  It is not the money, though, that is killing me now.  I am honestly broken hearted over not being able to wear it.  There is about 0% chance that I will ever have an event where I will be able to wear it so what do I do?  Do I keep it?  Do I sell it?  Having it in the house hurts because it is constant reminder of how excited I was to wear it.  (That is the same reason I threw out my wedding dress.  It hurt too much to see it and I am size 8 in formal wear now so putting it on was a joke!)  Then again, I love the dress so much that I hate to get rid of it.  Reason would say to keep it because maybe my daughter might wear it some day, but I cannot explain how I feel about that except to say that it was my dress and I could not accept her wearing it when I never got to as much as I love her. 
I know it sounds so stupid to feel this way over a dress.  I really do.  I guess I just never had that moment where I really felt beautiful when I was dressed up in this fancy dress.  I never plan to get married again so this was it for me.  By the time it is time for that again, I will be in the mother-of-the-bride dress and this type of thing will be completely inappropriate.  I would never do that to my son or daughter. 
It is the dress and the plans I had too.  I was going to get my hair done while they did my daughters.  I even thought about getting my make-up done too with false eyelashes just for fun.  Not now.
What do I do?  Do I keep it even though it is a constant source of pain or do I get rid of it which will hurt me too?  I am so confused.

No comments: