Saturday, July 7, 2012

Very hot...Great!

First of all, I never complain about the heat.  I am from the south and I like it hot.  I hate the cold.  For some reason, I was given extreme heat tolerance but no cold tolerance at all.  Go figure.  That being said, tomorrow's run scares me a bit.  The low tonight is going to be almost 80.   It is going to be hot as I run 14 miles tomorrow.  That is a little intimidating.  I have to do it because on race day, it could be 80 and I want to be ready but the truth is, it is a little intimidating.  I mean, I know that I can do it, but mentally, it is tripping me up a bit.  I figure it cannot be worse than last week when one of my waters on my trail disappeared. 
After skipping a cycle due to what I believe was the increased mileage, I finally got my period.  The worst part is the bloating.  It has been horrible. I am on 3 days of it now. I gained from it 4 pounds in less than a week.  I keep waiting for at least some of the 4 pounds to fall off.  Not so far and it really sucks because I was down to 131.  I had a pretty scary experience on Thursday am as I got out of the shower. I remember being in the shower and thinking that I felt dizzy and needed to get out.  The next thing I knew, I was on my hands and knees on the floor and forehead tapped the floor because it fell over like I had fallen asleep in class or something.  I was seemingly ok for the rest of the day but that experience made me realize that I have not been taking care of myself the way I should.  I have been eating a lot of empty type calories which is something I was not doing for a while.  I was really taking care of myself before.  I have struggled with my iron intake--that I know from my nutrition app.  Sweet Frog twice a week was not doing me any favors.  I ran almost 8 miles on Wed with my BFF, went to an amusement park and then took down wall paper when we got home.  So maybe the heat from being at the park, lack of iron, flooding from my period, and just being a maniac all day took its toll on me.  One thing for sure, I am paying more attention to my nutrition now and I have started back on the vitamins to make sure that I hit my iron consumption each day.  It is important now as I am running 30 miles a week. 
I have been thinking a lot about this over the last few days.  Why is it that we can appreciate someone's charm and personality when we are not trying to date them, but if we were looking at them in a dating kind of way, we would totally be turned off from them?  Hear me out on this...I know this kid who is in his early 20's and he is just adorable. He is kind of awkward and goofy in a 22/23 year old way.  He is not very physically attractive, but he is outgoing and funny and talks a lot.  Now I think he is adorable, but let's say that my other BFF who just got divorced were to meet a gentleman like that and were to go out on a date with him.  Chances are that I would tell her to run for the hills.  Why is that?  Why do we admire those qualities in someone who is not a perspective boyfriend/spouse but when it comes to dating, that person would be off the list?  Would this kid make a great boyfriend or hubby?  Most definitely.  He would kind, considerate, funny, and a lot of fun.  I am still trying to figure this one out.  The kid is too young for her, but it just got me thinking as she has started dating. 

No comments: