Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trevor Bane & Dale Earnhardt

Who would think that 20 year old starting in only his second Sprint Cup Race could win the Daytona 500. It was a great moment for racing. You could tell that even the other drivers were happy despite losing. It was pretty cool.
I did not watch NASCAR back when Dale Sr. died. I remember hearing about it. How could I not. I work in TV and it was all over TV. Seeing the memorials for it this week has been very sad. I imagine the event certainly messed up Michael Waltrip. It seems to have shaken him to the core, but this weekend, Michael Waltrip won the truck race exactly 10 years to the day after Dale died. How crazy is that? Michael Waltrip has never been a contender in a truck race before. I am not even sure he ever drove on before, but he did it. It was like divine intervention, or intervention from Dale himself.... There was something very poignant about it, and I will say that Dale Earnhardt would be excited to see such a young driver like Trevor Bane win today. It is great for racing in general.
For my two cents, I am happy that racing has started. I hate when it ends. For me, the start of racing means that spring is on its way. The end of the NASCAR season means that winter is coming so I hate it. I love the start of the season. With the start of NASCAR comes so many good things...spring, summer, flowers, warm weather, gardening, etc. It just gets better and better.

No comments: