Friday, February 11, 2011

Karma: Ever wonder where your life is going

and how small things affect it? It has been a crazy 8 days. I mean crazy. Yesterday at work ended with me driving with a co-worker to some random dude's apartment to see if he mistakenly received our time calculators for MC. It is like what the hell. I cannot help but wonder how in the whole scheme of things, this is part of a plan. My karma is really not good right now. I need to do something to fix it. The same co-worker keeps telling me I need to do something nice for someone. Ok, what? I am nice to AE's all day but that is my job. Not sure what to do....
I have been reading the Candace Dempsey book about Amanda Knox. The trial in Italy was something I followed early on. I was curious to see if I could understand what really happened and if she helped kill her roommate. I have always loved true crime. That love started early when I read Helter Skelter for the first time at age 14 or 15, I think. After that, I read all I could find that Vincent Bugliosi had written. Then I went to Ann Rule, of course. But back to Amanda Knox. I guess part of my interest in her story in particular was that my father was one of the original defense attorney's for the Norfolk Four so I know very well about false confession and the tactics police use to get them. I can only imagine how much worse that could be with a serious language barrier. In following the trial, I wanted her to be guilty and then other days I did not. I guess part of that is that she is an American and I would not want to think that an American girl could possibly kill her British roommate. Then, I wanted to think her guilty because I really do believe that most of the times, the cops have it right. I have always said that I do not know whether or not she did it, but I do not believe that the evidence warranted her being found guilty. Being halfway through this book, I have serious doubts about her guilt. Things that I took at face value from the press are simply not true. The language barrier and American inuendos were too much for the Italian police. That is clear. So sad for all involved. I do believe one day she will be free, but so much damage is done in the meantime. I feel so sorry for her mother. As a mom, I have thought about her often as I read this book. How painful it must be to have her daughter locked away in a foreign country and know that there is little you can do to help her. The pain would be awful. It overwhelms me to even think about it.
I believe in karma and karma has balanced things out a bit for the Norfolk Four. The main detective who helped get the false confessions was convicted of extortion in 2010. I personally know about karma... I love it some days and hate it others. We will see how today goes.

No comments: