Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Thank you, Phillies.

The little league 8-9 year old season for the Phillies ended last night in a heartbreaking loss to the Reds, a team they had already beaten twice this spring.  It just goes to show you that winning 82% of your games means little when it comes to the playoffs for 8-9 year olds anyways. 
I was team parent for the Phillies.  When the coach emailed that he would need a record keeper and team parent, I was leery about volunteering.  I am not an outgoing person.  I talked to my boss about it who encouraged me to do it.  I told my son that I might, and he went nuts.  Before I knew it, I emailed the coach to let him know that I would volunteer.  I was nervous.  How would the parents judge me?  How would the coaches judge me?  Would I do a good job at it?  Would I even like doing it?  I loved it.  I loved getting to know parents outside of my small circle at work and at home and at the gym.  I loved the children.  They were all sweet and kind, and I loved being around baseball again.  The whole experience collectively, mine and watching my son's, has brought baseball back into my life.  It has been a gift so thank you, Phillies.  Thank you encouraging me to be brave.  Thank you for encouraging me to step forward when my natural inclination was to sit back and watch.  Thank you for making me get out there and go places that I would normally never have gone.  Thank you for making me sit outside and unhook from the routine of my normal life for a while.  Thank you for introducing me to wonderful people who I will remember for a long time.  You ladies may only have been in my life for a season, but the impact of you will last much, much longer.  Knowing you for that short period of time and spending only a few hours a week with you has made me a better mom and person and has given me a little more confidence that I did not have before.  Thank you for making me laugh, making me want to cry at the tears of 8 and 9 year olds as they played their hearts out on a hot June evening, and making me appreciate my son's immaturity.  That last statement may sound like a stab at him, and it so is not.  He was the youngest on his team.  Watching him this season made me appreciate how young he really is and how young 8 year olds are. They are still so innocent.  He will grow up a lot in the next year, but for now, he is still a little boy, and I appreciate that about him again.  I have learned a lot about other parents, my son, my daughter, my husband, and myself.  I have learned that there are some really great, kind people out there, people who I feel happy to know even if it is only for a season so thank you, Phillies. 

No comments: