Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A PS for yesterday

It was as if the article was talking to me. I was already thinking about this, but the article made me think even more. It was written by a guy who said that he broke up with a girlfriend because she kept making comments about how her roommate was much more attractive than she even though she was not. Dude eventually broke up with her because he said that is "high maintenance" because she needed constant reassurance. First, I think any woman who is not "high maintenance" and that is my definition of it, not his, is selling herself short. What is wrong with asking for what you want out of a man? Are we supposed to just lay down and give them whatever they want and expect nothing in return? Second, maybe dude needed to look inside himself to see why she felt the way she did about her beauty. Men, they are so dumb. They put up posters, watch these films and drool over emaciated models and then wonder why their girl thinks she is fat even though she is a perfectly normal size 6 or 8. These pictures...well, let's be honest. The women have more make up caked on than Marilyn Manson in concert. The lighting is perfected before she even arrives. Have we mentioned air brushing???? But yet, women are expected to see that and then not wonder each and every day why they do not look like that. I remember a conversation in the car with my boss who I adore. We were talking about another co-worker who was way too thin. He said that he did not get the women thing thinking that these ultra thin women are attractive. He was actually trying to tell me that men do not go for that. I was like, "Are you kidding me? Then why were you drooling over Jessica Simpson back in her ultra thin day during The Dukes of Hazards movie? Why do you think that Faith Hill is hot." (Yes, she is probably underweight too.) What gives? I don't get it???
Models age by the way. So do celebrities--just ask Cher. I think Claudia Schiffer back in her day was by far the most attractive super model ever, but have you seen her lately. Not so much. Even Cindy Crawford is showing the rings around her trunk. We do not see men drooling over them any more, do we? No, they have moved on to even smaller girls wearing more pushed up bras and even more make-up.
I had a boss (another one I adored) back in college. He said that men like to look at the model types. Oh, that was their favorite and they want to have fun with them, but when it comes to marrying, well, they want a heavier woman with bigger hips and a little more jelly around the legs to marry because she will carry a baby well and be a good mother. How insulting? Is that how men really think? I hate to tell that every super model I know of is married or got knocked up at some point. What does that mean for them? I would love to go into this more, but I need to get back to shoving food into my face so that my hips do not get too small from all of my workouts. I am a mom and a wife afterall so I cannot let that happen.

No comments: